The Krieger-Kunz method
Founded in the USA, Therapeutic Touch is taught and practiced worldwide. Many colleges, Universities and health institutions have integrated Therapeutic Touch in their Graduate and undergraduate Nursing programs. In Canada, each province is regulated by its own association to ensure the authenticity of Dolores Krieger and Dora Kunz’s Therapeutic Touch practice.
Therapeutic Touch is a compassionate holistic approach to helping others heal themselves. It is a consciously directed process of energy exchange with the intent to balance the human energy field to optimize self-healing.
Therapeutic Touch was developed in the early 1970s through the pioneering work of Dolores Krieger, Ph.D, R.N., Professor Emerita, New York University and her mentor Dora Kunz, a natural healer.
Therapeutic Touch is for people of all ages, from the very young to seniors, regardless of their state of health. It can be given while the individual is sitting on a chair or lying down.
In Therapeutic Touch it is with conscious intent that the practitioner uses the hands as a focus to balance and modulate the energy flow through and around the body of the individual.
Therapeutic Touch is a healing practice, rather than a curing practice. The treatment is given over clothing and doesn’t require any touching or any change in position for the person. The duration of a treatment is between 5 and 20 minutes maximum, followed by a rest period.
Where can I get one?
Therapeutic Touch is ideal for people in palliative care, hospitals, residences and rehabilitation centres.
- Increases wellness in cancer patients;
- Changes the perception of pain due to surgery or severe hospitalization treatments;
- Relieves arthritic pain;
- Relieves headaches and migraines;
- Reduces symptoms of dementia;
- Reduces agitation in Alzheimer patients;
- Relieves symptoms of fibromyalgia;
- Speeds-up the healing process of wounds;
- Helps with the treatment of anemia;
- Strengthens the immune system;
Today Therapeutic Touch is practiced in Wellness Centers by practitioners to:
- Facilitate the body’s natural healing process;
- Reduce stress and anxiety;
- Relieve post-operative pain;
- Promote relaxation.